Thursday, October 9, 2008

Birthday Wishes

Tis my birthday month. I suppose most people take time to reflect on the past and hope for the future. I'm no exception.

Relaxing with some Irish whiskey and a cigar, my thoughts wandered to my childhood. I recollected my family as I grew up. The good and the bad. We were not Father Knows Best nor Leave It To Beaver. Neither were we scalawags -s-. Evenings at home watching favorite tv shows. Walking to school and coming home for lunch. Playing soldier, cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians. Standing up to bullies. Learning to do so at the hand of my brother. Shooting and hunting with my brother. Fishing and ballgames with my Dad. Traveling with my Mom and sister. Movies and plays with all of them. Reading incessantly from the adult section of the library when in grade school. Learning to think for myself. Knowing manners and right from wrong. Making choices for weal or woe. I miss them and went to bed dreaming of the past and future.

Next evening, we had a nice cut of steak cooked by my son for dinner. Over a toast by my wife, my own family and myself wished each other well. Then after chocolate cake with triple fudge chocolate chip icing (baked by my daughter), complete with strawberry and chocolate chip ice cream (I'm working out a lot now), I came up with birthday wishes.

My wife is considering several options for her future. She could do so many things. My wish for her is to remain independent and pursue her dreams.

I'm happy we've raised our kids to the point they are now. They are beginning to live their own lives. More and more we watch them step into the world. Considering the state of our beloved united States, they are indeed 'stepping into it'. My wish for them is to be true to themselves and to their Republic. I hope they carry on the fight to bring us back to a true Constitutional Republic. May they be up to the task ahead. I believe the 'comeback' will start with our generation , then passed on to these 'keepers of the flame'.

I feel the time for any relaxation may soon be over. At least, get your r&r where you can. The night is coming and we must redouble our efforts.

My wish for them is to carry on. And for all of us to do our part as necessary. To be free and self determined. To make and keep the choices that will last and the groundwork of a healthy personal future and to foster not just the recovery but the survival of these united States. For that, there is no other choice.

These are my birthday wishes for my family, myself and all of you.

5 comments:

Jay21 said...

Happy Birthday, may your worries not come to fruition, and your hopes reign true.

Anonymous said...

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys.

Anonymous said...

All the best always.

Anonymous said...

TY old friend. Same for you and partner. Get the Committee fired up!