Thursday, April 23, 2009

Stagefright

We all get nervous to some degree before a performance. I'm speaking of actors particularly. Some do well in rehearsals, then they foul up opening night. Others stutter through rehearsals, then do brilliantly that first night.

I've known performers who get quite spiky EVERY night. Then, they plunge in because once onstage, you're in the deep end of the pool. You sink or swim.

Of course, there can be flubs in an ongoing production. The trick as it were is to go on. The audience usually forgives gaffs. Even if they don't, go on. Is it life or death? Only psychologically -s-.

I can tell you that I get nervous like most others. Here is what I do.

Anything that wells up inside, I take and channel it into my performance. Energy is energy. Free acting lesson for ya. Stare it in the face and back it down as well.

In the real world, if you freeze or falter, it might be much costlier than a flubbed line. Life or death? Yep it could be.

When you have made a decision to plunge in, go for it. But first, be prepared. Rehearse. Practice practice practice.

And even before that, in the words of one of my heroes, David Crockett, 'Be sure you're right, then go ahead.'

2 comments:

Archie Schwarz said...

The show must go on -s-.

shlomo said...

Now aint the time to be timid. Better have a plan of action.