Monday, June 27, 2022

Ripples

 I had the chance to wander around part of my old neighborhood recently.


A local bar has reopened.  It holds a lot of memories.  It was a neighborhood bar that encompassed locals and students.  It was a late night haven for other bar employees, a little r & r.


Now it's at the same place, yet different, a mixture of old and new.  


One can't go back.  One shouldn't.  We remember the good and bad.  There is no living in the past.  We bring our memories forward and I hope learn from them.  


I noticed a lot of 'old timers' showed up.  Everybody has stories to share.  I'll just leave those to personal memory lol.


Now kids and dogs can be on the patio during the day and early evening.  In olden times it was strictly adults right up to 3 in the morning.


Lotta comedy and drama in there.


I predict the bar will survive.  Its location is just right and near another decades old tavern.  Good neighbors.


As I wandered, I noticed most of the houses remained.  Many neighbors, now gone but the houses pass onto new folks.


The corner drugstores are long gone.  And a landmark grocery, one of a chain, finally closed a year and a half ago.  I'd've thought it might survive being a landmark, but no dice.  Needless to say smaller stores disappeared decades ago.  The malt shop is no more.  Even a comic book shop, though existant, moved out of the area.  


The oldest mall has become a string of stores, open air again.  Behind it, encroaching, is an apartment building  With a black and grey facade, I thought of Sing Sing.


Thgere are more apartments being built nearby.  It's a long way from where there was once a cornfield.


An increase in crime, robberies and some shooting has reared its ugly head.  


Back when, I walked to the stores.  I went to college nearby and frequently walked alone late at night.  Now it's a dangerous proposition.


The atmosphere has changed.  A lack of personality permeates the air.  Not unfriendly, just distant.  There is a growing lack of trust


I'm reminded one of the socalled 'elites' has said we will own nothing, live in box apartments and be happy.  Nope.  Not as long as enough of us stand up and maintain our humanity.  


Interestingly, I think the reopened bar and its older cousin will help.  They are not trouble spots.  Never were.  


I will kieep my head on a swivel and once in a while visit.


Stand up, speak out resist.


And toast the future.

No comments: