Sunday, August 29, 2021

Just Looking

 Department stores have changed.  They aren't as numerous as yesteryear.  And they seem homogenized comparatively.  Personality is sacrificed for 'convenience' or process is mechanical.


From visiting with Mom to searching for years myself, it was a comfort to shop/select.  It made many, from rich to poor, special.  For some a rare treat, to others almost everyday.


There were register stations throughout stores and attendant clerks.


I remember seeing what was in stock and wandering round.  A clerk would politely inquire 'May I help you?'  I would respond, 'No thanks.  I'm just looking'.  When ready, I'd get their attention.  They would ring me up and get a commission.  Dealing with the public is not always easy.  I know.  Make the best of encounters -s-.


Caveat emptor is always sound.  Don't buy a pig in a poke.  And lipstick doesn't help lol.  


If you know what you want, leeway or not, then check out what's offered.  


One sideway comes to mind.  A store had alterations included, as did most.  I got a pair of slacks and stipulated the waist be lower at the waist.  The tailor disagreed. He pulled them way above.  I politely eased them down.  He angrily jerked them back up.  The store lost a purchase and this dope a commission/tip.  Kinda like gov.  We want it to fit.  Some want it cut their way.  Most uncomfortable -s-.


As said, we are at a precipice.  Restoring the Republic is something best approached knowing what we want.


Look before you leap.

No comments: