Wednesday, November 23, 2022

PPL

 Is it who you know?


Most of us meet people every day, both ftof and on pc.  Now, how that influences us varies.  Just passing, clerks, workers etal and the circumstances involved with all relationships are factors.  


What I'm particularly interested in are all the 'I know or met' certain people of influence, let's say.  That can be important, socially and personally.


People like Bob Wise and Pat McGoohan are examples for my life and work.  Reminds me that name dropping can be both good and bad.  Guilt by association perhaps.  Or enlightenment.  Also, the difference between coat tailing and networking.  


Personally, the folks I've met have been remarkable.  Some are well known.  Others hardly anyone will remember.  All lived.  


Kids I knew in school, friend and foe, neighborhood store owners, neighbors, salespeople, repairmen, mechanics, teachers, janitors.


Then kids/families in our parish outreach area.  Round that time paradoxically, I had a job in a liquor store, while studying for the ministry.  A lot of neighborhood denizens fluttered round there.


My assistant was perhaps another paradox.  He was what they called at the time a wino.  But I couldn't have a better helper.  He was never drunk nor did he steal.  We chit chatted and got along well.  He was an artist and regaled me with stories of his WW2 Army service in Germany.  He also drew some of the regular girls and his animals were great.


Many socalled 'night people' came round.  I invited some to church and some came.


I could write a book about that alone.  Maybe I will and include other encounters.


So many.  Socalled famous and not.  But each memorable.  Mostly good.  Only a few bad.  Many lessons learned.


It boils down to content of character.  That's the main thing.


I'm thankful for them all.

No comments: