Thursday, June 22, 2023

Dad's Character

 I've spoken of this before.  I'll talk about it forever.


Oddly, I wondered what my Dad taught me.  


As far as 'fighting back', that's a foregone conclusion who taught me what.


My GreatGrandmother taught me to fight with words.


My brother taught me to physically fight.


My brother from another mother taught me to fight spiritually.


And my Dad always comes to mind.  But why?


Mrs S simply said, ''Content of character''.


He did the right thing.


Immediately, I remembered the story of a young Jewish boy who was being bullied and outnumbered.


My Father came to his side and stopped that.


The other kid became a lifelong friend and family doctor.  He lived just up the street and sometimes made housecall.  This doctor was gwenerous and strong.


My Dad siding with himwas a seminal moment.


He risked injury to save someone from certain pain, though they took their licks.


There were many instances where Dad chose the right thing.


Sometimes it's costly.  Others the rewards were invisible.  Some money, a job, to not backing down from principle.  A word of encouragement, giving someone or something a start.


He did the right thing for me.


I think why I puzzled over what Dad gave me was easily explained.


He did the right thing daily, naturally.


That's my true inheritance  My legacy perhaps even destiny


Just passing it on.

No comments: