Friday, February 26, 2021

White Dot

 My brother from another mother was Black and American Indian.  I'm White and American Indian.  We are human.


My oldest daughter would play with his kids.  I'd joke she was easy to spot, a white dot among black dots.  Imagine saying that now!


These things are simply matter of fact.  What mattered was the love and friendship.  


It was the same one Easter Sunday at his then church.  It was Pentecostal and was predominantly Black.  We worshipped together, though the methods were different from my way.  


At lunch, I was the only White guy there.  So what?  Didn't matter to anyone.  We were of common accord.  


There happened to be one other White guy in the afternoon service.  Just an observation.


I was asked to give a message.  It was off the cuff and the setting was so different from my Lutheran worship.  Yet it was the same.  I said so and they encouraged me.


So I spoke and was inspired just the same as my sermons in my church.  It was notable for me the vocal encouragement of 'preach on' and 'yes brother'.  Different yet the same.  Purpose.  


White dot.  Black dot.  More than dots.  People.  


The content of our character was greater than the sum of our color.


In an era where evil attempts to divide us, remember acceptance just as we are.

No comments: