Sunday, November 29, 2020

Paint.

 I've mentioned before that I house painted my way through college.  I had several jobs actually, but the painting was a practical trade.


I learned from a master craftsman and acquired some skill.  And we painted everything from barns, to factories to houses.  We primarily met good people.  The interaction was interesting.


Most folks were just that.  They wanted a decent job for a fair wage, as did we.  And most left us to our work, trusting our skills.  My friend's reputation preceded him, as is the way of business, so he had no problem finding work.  It often found him.


Some people were nit pickers and seemed to be control freaks.  They seemed insecure to want to control someone else's talent.  We usually didn't return, even though our work was exemplary.


As said, how we interacted was interesting.


One of the most fascinating aspects was presumption.  Tradesmen can be ignored or put down.  And that often entails a talking down to.  The subtlest hints are the most palpable.


Most people respected my friend.  He was earthy and had a keen perception/intelligence.  There were only a few who thought he was beneath them.  Not hatred, but a condescending disdain.  He just shrugged them off.


He startled some into friendliness.  There are those who need to come out of their shells.  My friend had a way of lighting people.  A tight situation was loosened.  


He was honest and one got what one paid for.


I surprised a guy.  His Mom was having a house readied as a wedding gift.  My job was to paint the exterior.


One day, I was on a ladder, painting an eave over the driveway.


The guy pulled up and we chatted.


I like music when I work, be it painting, studying or writing.  I happened to have some show tunes which segued to classical.  I'm eclectic -s-.


This got the guy's attention.  Our conversation startled him as he discovered my knowledge of music and history.  I was surprised a seeming spoiled rich kid could have an in depth conversation.  He was further surprised a house painter was a college student and pursuing acting.  Books and covers come to mind.


Only the shallow don't or can't allow for anything out of the box.  They believe in 'knowing one's place'.  


It's that lack of self which is evident currently.  


Paint.  It can hide or enhance.


Time to choose.

No comments: