Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Caricature

 Roland Bainton, noted theologian and author of Here I Stand a biography of Martin Luther was also an artist.

He was well known for his caricatures of friends and associates.

I had the opportunity of having lunch with him and faculty at Wittenberg University.  I asked, was told it was limited, yet I managed to attend.  Persistence and faith -s-.

 I knew of his drawings and wouldn't dare hope for one.

We had a wonderful lunch and I was able to make some points.

As we dispersed, Dr. Bainton handed me a note paper.  There was a wonderful abstract of yours truly.

I was astonished, blushed and managed a quick thank you.

He sensed my hope and fulfilled it.  This was the kind of man he was.

He was no snob and reached out beyond the academic.  He cared and his faith showed it.

After the farewell sermon, I shook his hand and told him Here I Stand was a major influence in my spiritual journey.  His eyes showed he was deeply touched and we parted with uplifted hearts.

You never know til you ask.

No comments: