Sunday, September 30, 2007

Eggs and Baskets

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Depends. I had a shoulder operation in the second semester of my Sophomore year in High School. I had to lay out of a considerable portion of that semester. So I took comprehensive exams at the end of the school year. I did ok. One of my teachers advised 'putting all my eggs in one basket'. Interesting how sayings/wive's tales are two sided coins. Or how pinning all your hopes on one person/scenario can fail.

I remember calling a guy in show business who was a mentor for me. He was well established and was a source of great advice re steps to take and how to craft my career. I called unthinkingly during the Democratic Convention in 2004. His wife answered. She seemed anxious and asked if I could call later. Sure I said. She explained that John Kerry was about to address the Convention. Her tone was not just anxious. It was awestruck. It was as though the Messiah was appearing. I rang off and left her to her idol.

These people were not stupid. Her husband was one of the most successful people in Hollywood. As said, he helped me greatly and kept me focussed when there was much against me. I never talked about that call with him nor his wife ever. But I was struck how easily some people think one person is the 'cat's meow'. How they are willing to follow in the name, say of security or 'social justice'.

It's that time of year. Elections are coming up. Good time to decide who's who and what's what. It's nasty here in Indianapolis. Bart Peterson is arguably the most corrupt mayor we have had. I will talk about this shortly in another thread. Stultifying comes to mind that people are pushing for his reelection.

There are those with business interests, political gain etc who back such people. It's bad business and exploitation they back. I don't care about them in a sense. OTOH exposure is good for them. Stopping them is good for them. I care much more for folks like my friend's wife, like the people looking for a quick fix, even when time and again this has failed, even with the same person. Reminds me of those '5 year plans' in Russia and China.

Of course, I don't pretend to think we can change a lot of these sheeple. Some are forever lost in Oz or Never-neverland. But, we CAN convince SOME to think for themselves and dig for truth. Then perhaps they can do likewise.

There are very few sure things in this world, especially in politics, for whom we should give our all. Save some eggs for later. Check out whoever seems right for the job at hand. When they are right, when they fit more or less, support them. Just keep some eggs for a future omelette. Maybe you can become a leader yourself. At least lead yourself.

No comments: