Friday, September 5, 2008

Chains

In the comment section of 'Better', I mentioned talking about religion soon. Well, here goes.

I answered 'papal xian' inre Protestants and Catholics getting along. I mentioned attending Catholic sponsored retreats and other functions. I have several Catholic friends and have known quite a few ordained and lay Catholic folks. I'm not wearing these folks on my sleeve. I'll get to the point soon.

I wrote that the situation in Northern Ireland is quite political. Politics infused with religion. That makes for the excuse to hate or at least be dismissive.

I also mentioned I didn't care to be Catholic (any more than my Catholic friends wish to be Prostestant). My way is different yet similar.

Perhaps the best way to explain is to say that 'religion' is not enough for any of us. We must LIVE our faith.

The root of the word religion suggests supernatural constraint (chains), to be dependent. I contend we must be free. That doesn't mean some kind of lahdedah anything goes. I expressly state that we must live our faith, that we believe and DO all the time every day.

I have heard sincere Christian folks say that one cannot be a Patriot unless one is Christian. HUH? They should find out about Haym Salomon. He was a prime financier for the War of Independence. Or how about Judah P. Benjamin? This gentleman was in the Louisiana Legislature, then a US Senator from same and finally served in three Cabinet posts in the Confederate Goveernment. Just two particular examples of Patriots who were Jewish. There are plenty more over these 200+ years. They seem to have lived their faith and were certainly Patriots.

I might point out as well that we are guaranteed Freedom of Religion as enumerated in the First Amendment. Jefferson has numerous references that we are free to follow whatever faith we so choose. In this Constitutional Republic, we are not required to pass a faith test. We are simply to live whatever faith we have and to not force anyone to believe as we do.

Politics infused with religion is divisive. Living faith in our daily lives, INCLUDING government, creates growth. There is no separation, just that admonition not to force others. And that includes those who don't believe, though Atheism is a 'religion' in that it is a system of belief albeit not in a god (though some humanists think of man as god).

Having that faith we then go forth to make this country work. And, in the case of these times, we must bring us back from the pit of democracy to the pinnacle of Constitutional Republic.

In short, be free and live your faith. And for God's sake, be free to be American!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what's your faith mikeh?

Anonymous said...

I live it as I said. Not very evangelical, but it works.

I prefer to get the word out about the Republic.

Anonymous said...

More ways to skin a cat huh?

Anonymous said...

I believe when Jesus said to 'liberate the captives' he meant not just freedom from sin. He was concerned with people who 'wore their religion/faith on their sleeves' vis a vis Pharisees, Sadducees, etc. He very much wants us to live our faith, to do and think and be. Though that can be a sin NOT to live it, eh?

Anonymous said...

Ego trips dude.