Saturday, December 30, 2017

Lottery

I admit I buy the occasional lottery ticket.  I've actually won small amounts.  I don't depend on it though.  I've seen people spend large amounts of money simply for nothing.  Of course one can be conditioned and get a 'rush' from gambling.  Not me.  Most of my dough is from my own sweat.

Life is a gamble.  Well, choices for weal or woe.  Chances to succeed or fail and learn from both.

A lot of Hollywood types can be called lottery winners.  Some work hard and reap the benefits.  Some luck into their fortune and produce mediocre pap which oddly gets slurped up by sycophants.  Some are a flash in a pan and some endure.

Being in the right place at the right time together with dogged determination can make it more than chance.

Far as political stuff goes, I remember what my Psych prof said.  Opinions are like a$$holes.  Everybody has one.  True.  But we should all are free to express ourselves.  And the good taste to know when to do so.

Actors etal are no different than anyone else.  But some think they are above the crowd.  It's true for any group.  I remember family members who think they are superior when they are most certainly not, for instance.

Sure, there can be a big financial gain for some, but boy oh boy, very few.  Most actors I know aren't fabulously wealthy.  Some, though, do well and invest etc.  Nothing wrong with reaping benefits.

Let's say I hang with people who have common sense. That includes taking calculated risks.

I will tell you one thing Pat McGoohan said to me.  He mentioned how there are 10s of 1000s of people who are striving to be actors etc.  Most fail.  It's relative.  It takes luck.  That translates to positioning oneself to accept whatever one deems success.

A thought for all this New Years weekend.

No comments: