Wednesday, May 30, 2018

100 Years

Memorial Day gets me to thinking about family and history.  We each play a piece of the mosaic from yesterday til tomorrow,  Once in a while I wonder about what will be remembered of today.

I know I'm doing what matters right now.  I'm not in some tizzy about leaving my mark on history.  I've done that with the kids.  They will remember me.  We often share memories of their growing up.  Some of the stuff is truly only noteworthy to us.  Trivia to others might be a warm or even silly remembrance to us.  After we pass, the mems will get gradually dimmer at least for such things.

Most people will cross over with some family, friends and associates remembering them.  That's ok.  It gives renewed meaning to living for the moment.

Some might die alone with no one. I hope we can reach out to them for we are strangers only once. They will never be alone again.

I look at family pics and some though dim are fresh enough to me.  My GreatGrandparents and their siblings for instance.  There are portraits of ancestor also.  These are only known through family stories and historical accounts.  Yet the were alive, vibrant and lived lives with people round them and interacting with such and events.  Perhaps they wondered too.  Or maybe they just lived, did what they could and passed on as the next generation took up life.

100 years from now one of my descendants might well look at a pic of me and think as I have.  Or a legend might grow if something I do now carries on.  But they will be there because I am here.

As quoted from Lord of the Rings 'History becomes legend.  Legend becomes myth.'  Great and small things.  What Dad did to Founding a Republic and much more.

Perhaps you'll make something of this.  Certainly make something of yourselves.

Remember.  Live for today and plan for tomorrow.

100 years will take care of itself.

Having Light we pass it onto others.  This was our school motto.  Let it be so.

No comments: