Friday, November 30, 2018

Bond Love

Sure I love James Bond, books (Ian particularly) and movies.

In the 80s there was an American fan club before the famous Brit 007 one.  It had a fan mag called Bondage.  I still have them -s-.  They are chock full of background, bios and minutiae.

Ian Fleming's character personally captured my imagination long ago.  I started reading his novels in junior high and shortly followed the movies.

Now, my enthusiasm hasn't flagged, but I certainly am older and wiser?  Well, I have seen and done things, lived my life.  Yet, Bond remains well loved, more textured and he is the white knight I have always admired.

Oh oh.  White knight has nothing to do with all this collectivist hype re supremacism.  It has everything to do with virtue.

A hard living guy who drinks and womanizes?  Yes.  He has a hard job and lives on the edge to compensate.  It all goes far beyond teenage fantasies.

Fleming said he gave his hero few virtues save for patriotism and courage.  Not bad then nor now.  We need such in droves.

Bond battles evil which seeks to destroy mankind.  He literally slugs it out with psychopaths not unlike those in real life.

He has doubts, fears, is a rough guy.  Knights have never been easy dudes.  Their job was rough and so are they.  They care and so they fight evil, not a gentle job.

It's interesting to note that so many socalled liberals adulate Fleming and Bond as do those of us who value Freedom.  Why?

They have an agent of the state.  We have someone willing to break the rules to accomplish a goal.  We both live vicariously.  Yet, I see our hero as someone to emulate as far as fighting for Freedom goes.  To me that is virtually limitless.

I think libs secretly can be naughty and break their collectivist rules fictionally.  They see Bond as that state agent who enforces its will.

I see him as someone who protects ultimately people and their striving to be free.

Libs see the villains as people who fight the state.

I see them as psychopaths who embrace forms of collectivism.  They wish to kill us to make us bend to their will.

Bond seeks to liberate people so they might live their own lives.

Debate all you want.

I'm going for my annual watching of the films.  Then I watch Danger Man, then The Prisoner and also The Man From UNCLE first season.  More on that later.

As the Thunderball lyrics say, his fight goes on and on and on.

So must ours.

No comments: