Saturday, December 1, 2007

Pajama Party

Sounds like a bad B movie about girls having a sleepover. Gossiping, sharing secret crushes, baking s'mores etc. Perhaps some of the boys sneak over. Now, from there it could be rated PG or R. Or X. What I'm proposing has parallels. Hold on while I explain.

We often put on personas. It's very obvious in Hollywood (I affectionately and pointedly use 'Hollyweird' lol). There is a great deal of 'image' involved, especially for above line people such as producers, directors, writers, actors. Perception is often well over half of the process. Mind you, it's important to be perceived positively, confidently, as someone who is a winner. Never be dull or desperate is a truism, not just in the Industry but for much of society. In fact all of this is easily applied to many lines of work for plenty of endeavors. Nothing wrong with it. Unless taken to extremes.

What we wear can define us. I'm lucky, to my way of thinking because I can wear jeans and t-shirts often. I have suits etc for more 'formal' occasions. It depends on the impression I'm trying to make. An aside: Early on, I was advised that no matter what audition, meeting etc I'm involved in, I should have good sound shoes, no holes, no worn heels. I ascribe to that, except for certain times/events. And around the house, well... I'm wearing beatup sweats and worn, holey slippers replete with a crumpled cap to keep my bare noggin warm lol. Another aside: When in college, I was fortunate to have been befriended by Bob Schluep. He was a consummate master craftsman, primarily a housepainter. I learned to make a pretty good living then. We wore our good jeans and t's to work and changed into paint stained work clothes. For the trip home (or to the tavern for relaxation!) we reversed. Again, it depends on the calling/work and the circumstances/atmosphere. The 'trick' as it were, no matter what clothes, events etc, I remained myself. I never pretended to be something I was not. Sometimes of course, clothes are a calling card, a foot in the door.

Perception works to a degree. But the nicest Armani or Brioni suits cannot eventually mask who you are. Thus, someone could be a thief, liar even murderer or molester (or politician/bureaucrat?) and be the best dressed. Others could be wearing rags and be open, sincere, honest folks and might be about stopping evil. The sartorially incorrect can be eschewed just for that reason. But my Greatgrandmother, Rose Belle St. Clair Hiland told me long ago that it is WHO we are and not WHAT we are that counts. So be it.

How about a big pajama party? Why not a place to let our hair down, relax and be able to talk over things without worrying about putting on airs? Sound whacked? Well, I'm not one to be humdrum even in my sweats (smile). I'm asking us to look past the obvious (we so often don't). I'm asking us not to fall into a trap of pretending to be something we are not. I used to love retreats in college. Jeans, sweats, campfires etc. But lots of time to iron out ideas. To express concerns. To pray and laugh and cry.

How about a break, like the above, ok? Let's look past the seen and check out what lies beneath. Hopefully we do this with candidates. I know a good tailor. But he cannot mend and fit my thoughts and cannot change my spirit. That's up to me and God. And it's up to you too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PS: As for the rating, I'll leave that to the discretion of the people meeting. Casual does not mean it is not intense!

Anonymous said...

You never ever pretended to be something you're not? Wow, that's special. Bet you have sometime.

Anonymous said...

As an actor I have played parts. But no, I nave NEVER pretended to be something I am not. I have had people try to stop me, they cannot. I stand for this Republic. I am not perfect, but I will give my last breath to bring this Republic back. So mote it be. Amen. Hetch etuh aloh.