Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Before

As you may suspect, I am a lifelong student of history. I've studied since I was a child. Military history particularly interests me. I must credit my brother for being a tutor and intellectual sparring partner then.

Along with the study of history comes, quite naturally, research in genealogy. It's fascinating how my family heritage entwines with the Founding of these united States and the fight for Freedom even before that.

My ancestors were allies and fought beside William Wallace. One of them hid Wallace on his property, called now the Wallace Cave. Another consolidated the Orkneys and explored part of North America before Columbus. Mind you, there is dispute there, but my research and talk with eastern coast Indian tribes gives credence to this being true. To those who doubt, I say 'believe what you want'. My family has sought and shed 'Light' for many centuries. We have attempted to help others help themselves and share a desire for Freedom long before it became common. All this led to the Founding of our Constitutional Republic and my family's contributions.

Most notable was a gentleman who was President of the Continental Congress for a term and then Governor of the Northwest Territory. He knew and was friends with many of the more famous Founders. When his competence was in question, several, including Washington and Jefferson came to his defense. He was exonerated. Mind you he was not a great General nor did he care for Indians much (His daughter made up for this and I myself am part American Indian to boot). But this man put his life and fortune and honor on the line just as all those known in the books.

My wife is a direct descendant of Rob Roy MacGregor. Among the legends there is truth and Rob Roy certainly fought for justice for his clan and his people. BTW, Jim Bowie was also a member of Clan MacGregor and my wife has an ancestor who fought at the Alamo. She is a descendant of one of the original authors of the first Indiana Constitution.

We are proud of all of this and have instilled a love of history in our children. There is more to our heritage but this I share in relation to American History. There is more to it than this.

For one thing, we don't live in the past. We don't pat ourselves on the back about our heritage. Proud as said, yes. Inspired personally, yes. We are 'partly' a sum of our parts as it were. My Great Grandmother would say, 'It's who you are not what you are'. I have always taken that to heart. It's our turn now.

No matter who one's Grandpa etal were, it's our turn to stand for Freedom. No matter our bloodlines, we share the Founders as common ancestors for all. If you have folks who stood for Freedom be proud and inspired. Ready to now stand yourselves. Share your stories and learn from them and others. Then go forth.

The main 'thing' I hope my future Grandkids and family remember about me is simple. That I did ALL I could to bring this country back to a Constitutional Republic. That I would NOT shut up and spoke out even at peril of life and limb. I believe it will come to that for many of us soon. That I am prepared to protect and defend the Constitution and Bill of Rights to the best of my ability, no matter the extremes nor the cost. That I pass this down to them, that they may do their part in turn. That their 'before' helps them to carry on.

2 comments:

Mike H said...

BTW, Happy 80th Birthday to Paddy Fitz.

Anonymous said...

Studying history. What was before that came to make me and gives me the opportunity to make the future.