Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Kids And Career

Always a point of contention for some. Some give up one for the other. I've done a little bit of both.

My philosophy is that kids and career are EQUALLY important. If one's career is going, it brings income benefits etc. It gives satisfaction (and headaches lol). If one is attending to the kids, they will follow. It works for me.

Then there is the period when one is beginning, growing. Bob Wise gave me the 3 Ps: Passion, Persistence and Practice. These are important not just starting out, but all along. They apply to both career and kids. And yes, kids can be a career.

I devoted quite a bit of time staying home and teaching our son and daughter. My wife chose to work outside the home and while I studied acting as well. We both homeschooled the kids.

Homeschooling is ultimately inclusive. Life is indeed a school from start to transition (death be not proud). Every once in a while I still remind the kids this fact.

The traditional class work aka spelling math etc were included. Of course we added touches such as firearms training and maintenance (I let them disassemnle, clean and reassemble -s-.), basic economics, ie, learning to manage money (where it comes from and where it goes), and a sense of right and wrong vis a vis Judeo-Christian morals and a touch of 'world religions' etc. Oh and inductive and deductive reasoning.

All the while I was pursuing my acting/writing goals. I learned a lot, met and made friends/teachers and fashioned a business plan (I was a businessman earlier so had experience.).

One side served the other and taught the kids about showbiz and biz in general.

It also taught them not to be afraid to meet people. Be yourself, talk and be truthful.

My only regret is not completely moving to Los Angeles. Now, I'm planning that move and the kids can be with me. Though, my son is going to work and travel then college. My daughter is going to stay in school in Indy.

As we diverge and the kids grow up, we have given them a good combination to prepare them for that great outing.

Some people sacrifice career for kids and vice versa.

I hope we have a happy balance.

5 comments:

teacher said...

You have struck a good balance.

Mike H said...

I think so. But there is always a price.

Are you always there teacher?

teacher said...

Off and on -s-.

41 said...

Some cannot afford such a balance.

Mike H said...

I realize that. I simply offer our solution.