Saturday, August 1, 2009

Cops

I've known quite a few and for a long time. Quite a clique.

It is not easy to enter that private club. Some would argue that today it's not even worth it.

I'm always curious about people, what makes em tick. The 'shrink' in me?

To me, it's very important to understand the inner workings. Others prefer to deal with the results. I use both to reach answers (Like studying the collectivist mindset and /or the antis way of thinking/reacting.).

Some people pursue what they perceive to be power. Some choose to try helping others. Some swing on a pendulum between these.

There were those who wanted me to become a counselor to/for cops (As well, some wanted me to BE a cop. Almost did.). I did indeed help some cops I knew with their problems. And problems range a gamut.

Thoughts of suicide are common. Cause can be quite varied. Some get caught doing something either unprofessional or compromising. Others just cannot cope or 'burn out' dealing with life on the streets and home life. Power and 'service' again.

Most of the cops I knew joined to help people. Help. That word is a honey trap. Best of intentions sour the more you hit the streets. There is so much of the down side of life, the worst of humanity (usually ignoring the worst in their midst). Then there is the corruption, sell outs, compromise. Set that to the tune of 'them vs us', it overwhelms the best intentions.

Because of the us vs them attitude, 'help' has developed into a kind of false help. We are supposedly incapable of helping ourselves, so cops will decide what's best, enforcing the 'law'.

There has been a lot of change over the past 30 years. The cops I knew are mostly gone. So is the notion of 'peace officer' maintaining the general peace. Law enforcement aka serving the state has greatly replaced serving the people.

I remember ride alongs. It was fairly common for citizens to accompany cops on patrol, for a shift or a portion thereof. It was at least feasible. This is how I met many cops who became friends.

The latitude then was fairly wide (at least for me). I experienced police work as firsthand as it can get without taking the oath and getting the badge. There was trust and as far as that goes it was well founded.

These guys would not wait for SWAT. They would risk themselves for the safety of others. Quite the opposite of now for many of them (though I wager there are still some who have). 'Policy' dictates that they wait, for officers' safety. Does that sound like 'us first'? So much for protect and serve.

And policy also dictates that a line officer waits to run procedure around with a superior. Gone greatly are the days when cops thought for themselves. Now it is almost a committee that decides what to do in a situation.

A guy I know was just transferred back to patrol duty. I called the station house to ask him some questions. At one point, there was no answer. I called later and the receptionist answered. It took seemingly forever to contact him. In the 'old days', I would have been quickly put in touch.

One of the questions I asked was wtf was going on with dispatch. I reported a shooting in the alley behind the house. The dispatcher actually LAUGHED! Also, ridealongs were being clamped down.

I'd gone out with a friend's daughter who had been partolling for a year. We got along and I contacted her district to arrange another ride. They acted suspiciously of me. I received a call from the captain. He was upset and perplexed that I would ask to ride again so soon. He said such rides were usually a once or twice thing a year!

Lomg ago. I had a signed waiver allowing me to ride whenever I liked. And the waiver was a simple exemption. Now it had a bunch of legalese and exemptions of exemptions.

It appeared they don't want 'civilians' getting too chummy, nor knowing what goes on streetwise.

I asked this captain how long he'd been on the department. 30 years! He answered hesitantly like I was prying. I reminded him of former policy and his reply was to simply say the 'new directive' was for 'everyone's good'. Everyone's? I think not!

My friend answered when queried (over an open line), that 'things have changed'. Then silence. People were being watched and the public was being discouraged from learning 'too much'.

I pray that those cops who still care such as the Oath Keepers, are steadfast enough when the time comes to actually take that Oath seriously and protect and defend the Constitution. Some have resigned already, disillusioned by how they are supposed to serve the state and not the people.

I hope we keep some on the inside so we ALL serve Freedom now and in the future.

Sidenote: That 'friend' who said things had changed has distanced himself from me to the point we don't talk anymore. Maybe he is embarrassed that I talked him out of suicide twice and know about his breakdown years before. Or maybe 'job security' forced him to choose work over friendship.

And finally, one night I was crossing 10th street to return home from a store (More on taking a walk round here later.). A cop, very young, drove by. He glared at me. I merely stared at him til he was far away. Staredown.

I'm not too good at being the serf bowing to the 'blue knight'.

9 comments:

teacher said...

Often the past can embarrass someone. Sounds like your 'friend' still can't deal with it except to keep it hidden. Not good.

Flatfoot said...

There are still cops who take their Oath seriously.

Some want to dump us all with the only ones.

Some of us will continue to do oyr duty in spite of the prevailing liberal winds.

Only None said...

More like liberal gas bog pockets.

Mike H said...

Suicide is more common that departments want to admit. Not to mention all the other problems. Yep. Covering up just adds to the crappola pile.

Anonymous said...

Fact #1: All cops lie under oath.
Fact #2: All cops stick together. See also Fact #1.
Fact #3: All cops refuse to admit when they're wrong. See also Fact#2.
Fact#4: All cops have an "us versus them" (citizens) attitude. See also Fact #3.
Fact#5: All cops think they"re above the law. See also Fact #4.

Anonymous said...

Disregard comment above. It was made under the influence of narcotics for pain aftr reading of several instances of police misdeeds. While I know of several instances of "Fact #1" occuring (and suspect several others) I also know there are honost police out there. Unfortunatly there are also many local LEOs that fit #2 through #5 and know of at least one that resigned because of this attitude from his superiors..

Mike H said...

The badge is a symbol of service and honor. Some have been fooled into thinking it's something else ie a 'license' or 'carte blanche'.

Responsibility has been mislaid or even misappropriated as it has with many of the rest of us.

Mike H said...

There is the tendency for a lot of cops to look for the negative in people.

Probably, if you dig enough, you will find something negative in everyone, since we are not perfect.

Reakizing there is body mind (psyche) and spirit involved with all things, I've seen some cops overcome some pretty tough stuff.

henry said...

Perhaps the 'everyone becomes a criminal' that Ayn Rand refers to is appropriate here.

Bureaucracy of the state makes practically eveything illegal eventually.