Sunday, August 30, 2009

2 Cops

The 'kwikee mart' type place is just three blocks from the house. My son and I fairly often walk to pick up odds and ends. There is a liquor store nearby as well.

We've been customers both places for many years.

I may have mentioned that the neighborhood around us has deteriorated. Suffice to say we are moving soon. Not 'white flight', but a more secure and better home, and then there is staying in the Los Angeles area for my work.

To make a short story long as I usually do, the 'mart' has employed sworn cops for security.

The other evening, we went to the corner to secure some liquid refreshnment. My son waited while I purchased said liquid.

We then proceded to the 'mart' for something else.

As we entered, I said hi to the uniformed cop near the door. He was friendly enough in passing. My son got his Coke and we left. I wished the cop and clerk a safe night. No problem.

The next evening, we dropped in again for a small dram and back to the store for some more Coke.

The plain clothes cop regarded us as we entered, with sort of a 'raised brow' look.

I was busy chatting with my son and didn't say hi to this guy. Something about him was a bit austere.

We went to the back and checked out the 2 liters.

As we stood there the cop asked me 'if that was a bottle of alcohol in my backpocket'. I said yep. We have many times customed at the liquor store then the mart, my carrying the previous purchase even as I had done the night before.

He immediately told me alcoholic beverages were not allowed in the store.

Knock me over with a feather!

I didn't attempt to explain our years around there and our patronization of the store. Nor that I wasn't imbibing in public etc. He was indeed 'austere'. Or had his head up his a$$.

We got the Coke and paid then left.

I did not wish him well.

Maybe the store has such a no booze policy. Still, the tude was rude and condescending. One of many only ones who needs a 'pr' course. Or an attitude adjustment

My comment to my son was 'What an a$$hole!', as we went out the door.

Cop smirked. I just need to obey huh?

Now, if the store needs guards because they have been robbed, ok, that's their decision. They have a right to protect the store the best way they see fit.

I'd recommend the clerks be armed. Then again, most of the employees at this place might not be eligible.

As for me, I protect myself and this Glock toting cop is a cyst on the bowel of my Freedom if he thinks he protects me. Doubtful though, since he is employed to keep riftraft out and deter robbery.

Twas the attitude of the two cops that interests me.

The first was nice enough as it were. He didn't seem excited that I had booze in hand. He observed and reacted properly. I was minding my own business and so was he.

The second made it his business to 'point out' the rules. He seemed to enjoy lording it over people. Sure, it's a store in a hood going 'bad'. I wouldn't want swilling drunks screwing round my store. Again, it's the 'tude dude'.

Time was cops sized up the situation. They didn't bother someone who was just going about business.

Now, they stick their noses everywhere.

I don't know these two cops from Adam. Maybe they are regular fellas otherwise. Or maybe dicks. But first impressions are important.

And there is that most important question: Who do they serve, the people or the state?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All you proved is that cops are just as human as anyone else. There's some who get badge heavy the first day and others who remain decent people. The same can be said for any occupation that confers privileges and/or powers, i.e. politicians, celebrities, corporate heads, etc. I'll grant you the "newer breed", the younger ones, are more prone to this kind of attitude. With the adoption of more military type uniforms and tactics many departments have instilled an "us vs. them" mindset when dealing with civilians. It becomes easy for them to forget they're a civilian department. In your case, since the guy is working there off duty, and you're a regular customer,an informal comment to the owner might change his perspective on things. Those off duty jobs usually pay well and are something most appreciate having.

Mike H said...

'All you proved is that cops are just as human as anyone else.'

That's all I WAS doing Anon.

And that they must make up their minds who they serve: the people or the state.

Phelps said...

And that they must make up their minds who they serve: the people or the state.

Lately, it seems that they are serving neither -- just taking up space until they "earn" a pension, and bullying along the way whenever the whim hits them.