Saturday, March 30, 2013

Popeye

Strike up the band for Popeye the Sailor.  Cash in his hand and right off the whaler..............

I've been rewatching Popeye cartoons and am marvelling at the artistry.  Everything that goes into a cartoon takes teamwork and dedication.  And the energy in the Popeye cartoons is nonstop.

There are a lot of sources.  Just type Popeye into a search engine for more details.

The earlier ones were mini musicals and the voices were great characters. 

I used to drive Mom nuts imitating them and singing lol.  But I had no inclination to brawl as did Popeye and Bluto.  The goal was usually Olive Oyl, perennial girlfriend.

Other characters included the fat lazy moocher Wimpy, Sweetpea the baby and nephews Peepeye, Pipeye, Poopeye, Pupeye.  Who the parents are is never explained -s-.

Popeye is scrappy, hates injustice and all American.  He especially hates bullies like the usual Bluto. 

It struck a chord as a kid for me since I had to fight off my share of bullies.  And I ate more spinach as well lol.  I bet spinach sales were up for years because of Popeye's love of the leafy vegetable.  And no I knew it wouldn't make me strong alone.

It did give me courage, along with my brother among others, to face bullies.  This gave way to determination to not back down. 

Oh my garshk!  Agh guh guh guh.  Mumbling to self, I hates all palookas who aint on the ups and square.  -s-

Just a nod and thanks to the guy who 'was every inch a sailor' (Might have been double meaning and yes I've seen the naughty cartoons.  Never mind where that hidden tat was lol).

One other thing.  Popeye was good hearted, helping people in trouble.  He wasn't a psycho like Woody Woodpecker lol.  As for say, Bugs Bunny, I'll leave that for another time.  I favored those toons and Popeye over Disney.

Lastly, he was honest.

'I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam'. 

Same here -s-.


1 comment:

teacher said...

Well blow me down! Argguhguh.