Saturday, June 29, 2013

Fringe

I have great love for science fiction, especially when it has that message in the ravioli.  I've said numerous times that points are better made with sci-fi and comedy than many serious stories.  Depends of course, but in the case of Fringe it hits the nail on the head for me.

It follows in the footsteps of Twilight Zone, X-Files etc.  What strikes me particularly is experimentation to augment humans.  This takes several turns, such as altering DNA to create super beasts, drug and IQ adaptability experiments and the Observers, who seek to purge emotion for enhanced intelligence and time/place technology development.

The Observers ruin their future world in their pursuits and invade Earth in the past, our near present in order to make it more compatible to their needs.  This includes mass purging, collectivist dominance including collaborators interestingly called 'Loyalist' and other police state methods with which we are well acquainted in the real world.

The Fringe team is similar to X-File personnel, investigating strange science as well as employing it.

They join a Resistance in the near future and reshape the world as it's supposed to be. 

The acting is top notch as are all the production values.

As for messages and emphasis, I leave it to you to discern it for yourself.

I see lessons in how to promulgate freedom and the indomitable spirit of humanity as we are sans enhancement.

Emotion and reason are shown to be both necessary and in a state of constant need of balance.

This show is textured and I recommend watching all of it in order.

Interesting how something done by purported liberals comes out with elements of value in seeking Freedom in our real world.

Of course, take it with a grain of salt and make up your own minds.

2 comments:

teacher said...

I like it when Walter says 'I am not a number, I am a free man'.

Mike H said...

I do too. Pat McGoohan's work is admired by a wide spectrum of people -s-.