Sunday, August 31, 2014

Stage Dad Not

My daughter is off to fine arts college.  She is creating her own destiny or future.  As for destiny, I guess we could make that a separate philosophical subject. 

My son is continuing to map out his own course.  He knows what he wants and is traversing adulthood well.  Military and subsequent history teaching are on the horizon.

As for my girl, she is excelling at standup comedy and acting is on the docket.

I take credit only for giving them a start.  The rest is up to them.

There is nothing worse than a stage mom or dad.  They push their kids to live a life the kids may or may not want.  It's abusive itself but can lead to abuse from others for the sake of fame and fortune.

Some parents latch on, living off the profits.  While they should get a percentage while the kids are minors, there should be no further involvement, unless it is a business arrangement.

Also, that attachment is often vicarious.  The parent has failed, so live through the kid's accomplishment.

Jealousy many times lurks below the surface as the children become just some extension of the parent.

Let the kids be.  Let them shine on their own.  It is their turn to live.

I use the terms boy and girl out of affection.  A young man and young woman have flown from the nest.

We all have that on our side, ie, the capacity to determine a course of life for ourselves.

I will always love my kids.  But their lives are THEIRS.

Be Free.

No comments: