Sunday, May 24, 2009

1911

It has a threefold meaning.

It was the year my Dad was born. It was the year John Moses Browning's Colt 45 was designated for military use. It was the official start of the 500 Mile Race.

One little known event, one largely known and one greatly known. Each has its own importance.

First, I'd like to thank my Dad, William Clair Hiland, for fathering me. Not just that. For laying a foundation that sees me through now. 'Fathering' is easy. Just a glee in the eeye and a 'tilt in the kilt'. Being a father (aka positive male role model) is invaluable. There is not a day I don't think of him.

As for the 1911 '45 automatic' well it speaks for itself. I have one that was issued in 1918. It still competes for my attention as a defensive handgun along with Glocks.

Being from Indianapolis, I'm well familiar with the '500'. We just finished the 93rd running. Dad took me out as a toddler for the practice runs. He had frequented the race many times. I have film of him and his buddies in early days. And yes beer was just as popular then lol.

Funny enough, I've never been to the race itself. Been to practice and some events. But the race nope.

Two years from now would have been my Dad's 100th birthday. I've decided to have a 'centennial' party in his honor. We will celebrate a century of events.

Going our separate ways, I will gather the family and reflect on not just Dad, but what is important now to us.

Yep. That means addressing the coming storm and restoring the Republic. It means completing what we start.

Dad always taught me to finish what I started. And though when I kick, there will be loose ends, I will endeavor to leave little for the kids to 'clean up'.

As for the next two years for our country, well we will see.

4 comments:

kava said...

Wish I had met him.

mikeh said...

Come to the 'centennial' in two years. Details will come. Contact me.

imhotep said...

Planning to resurrect him lol?

mikeh said...

In a manner of speaking bubba. Just rememberin....