Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial

Today is a day to remember.

People have had their fun at the 500 Mile Race. Okay. We need to party. Perhaps some of us get blitzed. Some just gather and picnic. Letting off steam.

That's something natural. We recreate. But many leave it at that. They forget what Memorial Day is all about. Personally, it brings a lump to my throat, tears to my eyes.

So many have died. They sacrificed themselves. They fought for Freedom and at the last for their brothers in arms.

Many colors, faiths, backgrounds. Personal reasons gave way to the simple fact that they died for Freedom. I hope we don't betray them.

They have been betrayed many times. Sometimes during war sometimes after. I will not besmirch them with mentioning traitors' names. Those lizards/bugs have enough press.

Rather, I ask we remember. And thus, that it was not in vain what they did.

When I say I hope WE don't betray them is simple enough.

If we forget or allow our kids friends, neighbors etc to forget, that's betrayal. If we allow those traitors to continue to hold sway, if we don't counter them, that's betrayal.

Hold your heads high and celebrate what those who died for Freedom did.

And contemplate what we must do to further it.

1 comment:

Dan W said...

We teach our kids. They can talk to us about anything.