Sunday, September 29, 2019

Dress Code

Clothes make the man? You can't tell a book by its cover.

I've worn off the rack stuff as well as tailored.  I've collected a lot of second hand clothes too.  There are great bargains around.

I've worn suits and sweats, formal and informal, new and old.

Certain clothes seem to code what one does.  Sure, jeans and t-shirts might be a plumber or painter.  Usually painters get some paint on there clothes.  Not sloppy, just hazard of the profession lol.

Overalls may be factory or mechanics.

Suits are anything from office to politics to sales.

That's the apparent intention.  But, as said, books and covers can be divergent.

Now, I'm all for dressing up.  I've done it quite a lot.  But I'm also for dressing down.  I'm just as happy in shorts and t-shirts or beat up sweats round the house.  Comfort.

Impressions are funny attitudes.  One might expect business to be conducted in a suit.  Maybe.  Depends.   On what you do and how/why you do it.

I've managed to do business without ties.  At a church interview, I made that comment.  It was in passing and did not reflect on anyone else.

One of the interviewers immediately got angry.  He said HE wore a tie every day.  Wow!  I answered fine.  My work allowed the opposite.  He was actually hostile from then on.  So much for brotherly love huh?

Obviously, when it comes to clothes, we see what and how people actually are.  The cover doesn't match the book always.

No matter who, look at the eyes.  They are indeed the windows of the soul.  And look for results.  Words can betray.

And remember what my GreatGrandma said.  ''Mike, it's who you are, not what you are.''

No comments: