Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Famous

Several years ago, I was visiting the set of a movie some friends of mine were making. While meeting and greeting, one of the girls from the local high school got to talking. They had her working as an extra for a crowd scene that day. She was just thrilled to be a part of it.

She asked me questions and I gave her advice about getting in the 'biz'. Chiefly, I suggested she make the most of her time on the set. Without being intrusive and ultra polite, ask questions of people NOT at the moment busy. See who might chat at lunch. After the shoot for the day, maybe meet some of them and ask advice. The thing to remember is folks are occupied primarily with making the shoot work. Just look for a 'window' of opportunity'.

She innocently asked me if I knew anyone 'famous'. Weell... I didn't want to go into detail with a relative stranger. I have people who have given me permission to 'name drop'. That's for others in the Industry and is used for door openers. So I told her I ran into Natalie Portman at a Meijers (a super store) in Carmel, Indiana. I actually did. Didn't bother to say hi. I was occupied as I'm sure was she (aka privacy). Anyway, they called the extras and I wished her well.

Famous. Some of the cast and crew of my friends' movie were famous at least to me and quite a few in showbiz.

Fame is relative. But, there are common denominators for those who seek to do their best. Having goals and reaching objectives toward those goals is important. Working hard to be more than noticed and one day valued is fame to me. Striving to be the best at one's work, at any goal.

Fame is fleeting. Sic transit gloria mundi. What the Roman conquerors would have whispered in their ears during triumphant marches. They say a monk, upon the coronation of the Pope, burns flax and simply states it, reminding all the fact that the Pope is only a man.

Fame for fame's sake almost always ends badly. Doing a good job, doing one's duty, now that's the stuff of leaders. They must first learn to follow.

It is of course a two sided coin. Just look at Hitler, Lenin, Mao, Castro etal. Dillinger, Bonnie and Clyde etc. sought fame. Infamy was the prize. Content of character counts more than anything.

Do your best. Then do more. Not just for you, but for others. Your fame may not be worldwide. You might not end up on Letterman etc. But you will have done what is important.

Doing your best means there is always more to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, you might end up on Letterman etc.

Anonymous said...

True enough. I would be glad for the recognition someday!

Anonymous said...

You know you can do anything you set your mind to.

Anonymous said...

If it's the kava I know, give me a call. Or one of the Committee.