Friday, February 20, 2009

Uncle Forry

To my sadness and embarrassment, I discovered Forrest J Ackerman passed away December 4, 2008. Though Wikipedia can be at times questionable, I'd say his bio etc there is a good starting place for those who don't know about him. His MySpace page is still up. I'm sad because he's gone and embarrassed that I didn't keep in closer touch.

'Uncle Forry' (one of many nicknames) was a writer and literary agent, including many well known writers of fiction and fantasy. He was an avid scifi (a term he coined) fan and collector of a vast array of scifi books and memorabilia, including many props from scifi and horror films.

He appeared in mostly cameo roles in over 50 movies. 4E was a pioneer instituting widesperad fandom for the aforementioned science fiction and horror genres.

Perhaps he is best known by most as the editor/founder of Famous Monsters of Filmland. A magazine dedicated to horror scifi/fantasy, each month it was filled with stories and tales of the old horror masters, such as Lugosi and Karloff among so many others. For a kid much in love with movies and heavily into the golden oldies, it was a dream come true, a treasure trove of entertainment and inspiration. Yep, he helped nurture my interest in writing, filmmaking and acting. Many others were likewise motivated. Many writers/filmmakers including Billy Bob Thornton, Frank Darabont, Steven Spielberg etc. benefitted from his expertise. He certainly promoted ALL of filmmaking/writing, unlike many others who glorified only the actors.

I owe him a debt for being one of the earliest mentors for my endeavors. I didn't know him well but occasionally called, trading quips and word play (something for which he and FMOF mag were nonpareil) while he spun tales of 'old Hollywood'. At the same time, I offered him my voice characterizations of Bela, Boris and many other greats. He laughed but never mockingly lol! Once, I almost sold him an exclusive interview with Geraint Wyn Davies late of the Forever Knight tv show. Almost is still no cigar, but grr Ger wasn't available at the time. That really bit.

As with many others from Hollywood, I have passed an appreciation to the kids of the classics in all genres, though my faves are still horror/scifi/westerns. Not to mention that historical drama now and then -s-. My son remembers chatting with him when he was about five. Forry told him that Baby-lon 5 was a bio of Lon Chaney's childhood, lol. Dr Acula always had a prescription for pun. These days, needing a laugh at times with the darkness closing in and real horror very apparent, I remember and smile along with judocious dishes of the 3 Stooges among others. To them I plate my trough.

He was an avowed atheist, though I never knew him to bad mouth other faiths. Personally, I look forward to a big party with him, Bela, Boris, Lon etc one day (but not TOO soon I hope).

He called himself a 'scifi sponge' that should be squeezed for info and anecdotes. Exsqueeze me Forry for not staying in touch. Like you, when the time comes, I hope I'm dead on time -s-.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe he appeared in well over 100 movies.

Mike H said...

Probably. BTW, nobody seems to mention his ties to the Magic Castle. He was a fan of magic and had some skill himself.