Friday, December 11, 2009

Education Vs Well Read

I remember someone I knew at a local college tell me 'Michael, you are not educated, but you are well read'.

Academic snobbery at its finest. Pretty presumptuous huh? Or was it a compliment?

At the time, I had taken some college courses. But I had my own business and had been a student minister in the Lutheran Church (Now ELCA after I left the Missouri Synod. For refs please look it up yourselves.).

In other words, I had been a businessman and a church leader as well as a husband and father.

The person who had said this prized her academic education but at the same time questioned authority. She was suspicious of what was going on in government. And yes, I was questioning what we are now commonly addressing.

Makes you wonder, btw, how long it takes for people to 'get it' and do something about encroaching tyranny. This was some time ago and I still think it's going to get way worse before it gets better.

Education these days can be little more than programming. Being well read seems wise.

Education is life.

All my life is school.

I was told I must get my bachelors degree. Somehow, apparently, that would make me more complete.

Nonsense.

We homeschooled the kids til recently. One of the primary axioms they have been taught is that education, ie learning, is lifelong.

We must strive to teach ourselves.

We must be well read. For if we are not well informed, we are subject to the whims of those who would be our masters. We must not let others do our thinking for us.

I'm not disparaging a formal education. It can be the origin of a well lived life. Or, these days particularly, it might be a dumbed down watered version of the truth.

Training and practice, to me, are natural whether you call me well read or educated. Split hairs here.

If you want to call educated 'doing' and well read 'knowing' I'd buy that.

Otherwise, get as much out of life as you can. Think for yourself and practice the principles of Freedom that founded our country.

And practice with your firearms. That kind of education is invaluable as it means you can defend those principles.

3 comments:

teacher said...

Doing and knowing sounds sound.

Educated Idiot said...

A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B.-- Fats Domino

Mike H said...

My parents were high school dropouts. They were very successful.

There are other families rife with college grads. They do not reach their potential.

Circumstance and drive vary, with era, age events etc.

Society can be a trap or a springboard.