Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Walking In The Snow

As I walked through the snow one winter, I saw an elderly woman trying to shovel her driveway.

It had been a deep snow, with penetrating cold after.

The city plow had cleared the street, well had piled snow to the side and left a coating that defied thawing.

The elderly lady was attempting to hack away at a huge pile left by said plow that blocked her driveway.

I was running late for a meeting, but I was not about to let this lady exhaust herself and possibly hurt herself as well.

I asked if she wanted me to help her shovel and she agreed.

It was a heck pf a job. The snow was packed tightly where the plow had pushed it. I bid the lady go inside and I chopped and chipped, taking occasional breaks, the sweat building.

Gradually, the mound receded as I piled it out of the way.

She came out a couple of times to see my progress and asked if I wanted something hot to drink.

I thanked her and just kept shoveling. Once I start, I hate to stop.

After while, I had cleared a path for her car and managed to clear the sidewalk.

She thanked me and said she would pay me.

I immediately refused, saying it was not necessary. I merely did what needed to be done. Besides, I figured she was on a fixed income and needed every cent.

She insisted, stating it was worth it. She also said it was of 'no never mind'.

I asked her if she could really part with it.

She assured me it was ok.

I accepted the money gratefully and went on my way.

Though I was in need of money, I never dreamed of asking her.

It was my duty as a fellow human being to come to the aid of an elderly lady. It was done with no thought of recompense.

It was the right thing to do.

Yet, I was rewarded and with more than her money. Her thanks was enough.

But she felt it was not and thus I was given some much needed cash.

Not planned, not premeditated. Certainly not mercenary. Totally unexpected.

I was supplied with the means to go on another day.

You never know where nor when something might come to you, when you need it most.

It beats the heck out of fretting by doing. Giving.

It's a welcome thought on another cold day.

2 comments:

kava said...

You will put your best foot forward now, as the stars align -s-.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this.