Thursday, November 26, 2009

Nocturne 2

I was walking on 10th Stret. Strange, mercurial place, it was early Spring.

Dusk had settled the argument into night.

There was a still almost static air.

I had a few drinks in me, so I was fortified against the wind and chill.

I was trotting along, noting the usual 'sites'.

There are some old buildings along the way and places long gone.

The 'Puck Around' was such a place.

It was a working class bar, with the commensurate guys and gals.

I remember sitting, drinking Jack and a beer back. There was a guy who calmly smoked cigs and sipped his beer. He stared into space as he sought to relieve his stress.

There was something comforting about his routine. Also just a little odd. Not creepy, just obsessive.

But then, that's not too odd in a bar after al -s-.

Working folks would belly up and seek relaxation with some eating and some using the poker machines.

Of course, there were some who overdid, some with a problem in just being there.

Many regulars and a few newbies.

I went there every now and then when I wanted a spot of booze nearby.

One Thanksgiving, after seeing a movie, I was forced to walk from the theater out on the east side home.

Fortunately the folks who owned it opened it for a bit that night.

Maybe they were giving some of us a break from families lol.

At any reate, to make a short story long as I often do, I frequently walked home, taking care I was only warmed up, not 'overheated' as it were.

On the aforesaid evening, I was walking home after dark, always a curious time on that stretch of street.

There were the usual hookers, pimps and assorted miscreants. And, as was the wont of this place, something else.

I was coming up on the Rivoli theater. It was an old second run movie house that used to have first run stuff in the 30's and 40's. A piece of history that in its sunset years became second run then turned into a concert venue along with vintage movie weekends replete with a great show organ concert thrown in.

I remember how bad it got when I saw a roach crawl across the top of the seat in front of me. Ugh.

It got worse from there, until it closed. Worn out and deserted, yet the owner still lived in an apartment above. It was said to be haunted. More on that later.

It had begun to mist and I reflexively pulled my jacket collar up and tighter.

As I did, I glanced at the side street.

Coming my way was what appeared to be a young woman, in a dark coat, but with no hat.

It was a cold night for early Spring. Such was not unusual as the weather segued often.

As soon as I spotted this 'girl', the temp dropped considerably. I looked at her slow steady trudge toward 10th-and me.

My first thought was a 'crack whore' stoned. She stumbled and keeping my distance, something at which I was a past master in this part of town, I yelled, 'Are you ok?'

The noticed my voice then me. It seemed to 'excite' her, in that she increased her odd swaying pace.

I backed away,, my hand on my gun. Yes crack whores can rob and kill, for those who don't know.

Still I watched her progress. She was concentrating on the sight of me and as she got closer, the temperature decreased to a crazy cold-very unspringlike.

Her mouth opened but there was no sound, at least nothing discernable. Her hands writhed and seemed clawlike.

Mind you even at this hour and after dark, there was little traffic, whatever good that would do, just in case.

I beat a hasty retreat, keeping my eyes open.

Sure enough she reached 10th Street and began walking in my direction, the same lumbering but steady pace ensuring if I stayed she would catch up to me. No thanks.

I sped up and notice she again disappeared as if she did not want to attract attention on a main thoroughfare.

Ever a stickler for details, the last thing that ran through my mind were several holes and stains on her coat.......

Maybe it was motheaten and she was just dirty.

I know what you're thinking. A zombie? Nah.

My guess, if it were something supernatural, would be a kind of soul sucker, perhaps a bad spirit in form that drains lifeforce. That would explain the extreme temp drop. They also stay in the shadows as did this Miss Ugh of the new millenium. Spirit ghoul and not a vampire, at least not a hot one like the girls in black I and my son encountered earlier.

But hey, that stuff doesn't exist, even on 10th Street, right?

2 comments:

darthdippy said...

U sho iz weeeeurd.

Mike H said...

Aren't we all..BTW, with a name like darthdippy, I wouldn't talk -s-