Thursday, November 26, 2009

Nocturne 3

It was snowing like nigh onto a storm one night in the hood.

I ventured out, even though it was bad, because we needed something from the store.

A long trek. Through the snow, bundled up. Out of gas, out of time. Out of energy except for getting to and from.

I noticed something strange.

That's not a big deal considering the weird way if the street,

I was being folloed.

Again, not too odd, in this neck of the woods.

As was my wont, I was in 'condition yellow', ready to fight, even in the snow.

I turned and saw him.

He was just a 'guy' maybe average height and dressed in average clothes.

Except for his teeth.

He was snarling and his teeth were long and sharp.

Hand on my gun, I smiled and watched as he came closer, impeded by the snow.

He continued to snarl and his teeth were, well sharp looking and long.

I challenged him and he backed off a little as I neared the corner.

I crossed the street and he remained behind.

I finished my business and when I came out of the store, he was gone.

All the way home, I was alone and wondered where he had gone. Til morning.

There was a 'murder' the night before, near my street.

The news said it was a 'mugging'.

Sure. Right.

Then again, that's all that happened on 10th Street.

1 comment:

leila said...

Your post looked so lonely, I thought I'd leave a comment.