Monday, November 30, 2009

Will's First Time Shooting

Saturday, the 28th of November, was my son Will's 20th birthday.

There were many reminiscences about his birth and childhood

He was taken c-section and there was some concern he might have ingested some poop, so they used a suction tube on him, with a resulting 'Wah-shlurp, wah shlurp'.

Under the heat lamp his eyes widened and he stretched out his arms as he responded to the sound of my voice. He knew it well since I had been reading to him in the womb. Much Shakespeare etc was shared. I kid him about the arm stretching and eyes, calling it his 'creature from the black lagoon imitation'.

There are so many but one of my other favorites happened a few years later.

We were standing in a field. I had just demonstrated how to fire my Maadi AKesque weapon.

I then placed it in his hands and helped him shoulder it.

I cautioned him to just squeeze the trigger keeping it down range and point it down after finger off trigger.

The look of trust he gave me bespoke that he overcame his initial fear.

He let fly.

And he stayed in position with barrel down, finger off the trigger.

Then, I asked just one more thing of him. I requested that he fire just one more round down range.

He did so and any further fear was gone. The mystery was solved and the terror monster vanquished.

I praised him and he smiled as we continued shooting from that time onward.

He's quite good by the way if I say so myself!

5 comments:

teacher said...

Careful. The antis will claim you are talking about his first driveby lol.

Mike H said...

LOL! We know it's not.

He did make fun of the title. Very warped sense of humor.

We were in the country and the targets were various inanimate objects and trees.

Oops. Now the environuts will be on our butts.

PS: Glad I checked my typos and changed that i to an o -s-.

lolo said...

Will's First Time would have been too much for the puritans.

Mike H said...

And no one's business!

Anonymous said...

My 7.5 yo son took his first shots this past Sunday. It was a great father-son moment.

We've got many more days like that to come.