Friday, August 27, 2010

Quality

I like to buy clothes and shoes that last. I'm not rich, but when (!) I am, I will be as practical (a good word here a bad word for pragmatics), as I am now.

It's simple. Good things last longer than bad things or at least poor quality things.

So much has changed. So much is poorer quality now. things wear out faster and need to be replaced.

I remember the days when tvs were repaired right in the home. I got to keep the old bulbs and I'd make imaginary machines for 'laboratories'. It was the same for almost anything in a home back when. there is some home repair now, but it's just not the same.

If anything we are a throwaway society. If it goes on the frizz, toss it and get another.

I was astonished when a cassette player I had was wearing out. A clerk at the store simply said to get another.

Many are learning to salvage, even if they have the funds to replace. Self repair is becoming more popular. That is wise in light of tough economical times.

Obviously the long term ploy is to get people dependent on replacement and to make folks unskilled.

So frugal is as frugal does.

Developing a good eye as to quality is essential. As I said, good stuff lasts longer.

Common sense, though there has been an attempt to breed it out of us, is still alive and well.

No comments: