Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hello

I remember driving to a late night job start on an inventory.

I was in the company of Schluepy, my painter friend and sometime employer.

The roles were reversed as he was assisting me this time.

On the road, in the dark cold we suddenly heard that Rick Nelson had died in a plane crash.

It stunned us and saddened us to hear it.

Nelson's music was a staple for both Schluep's generation and mine.

Hits like 'Hello Mary Lou', 'It's Late', 'Travelin' Man' and many more were part of my growing up.

Though not deep mostly and simple smooth tunes, Rick Nelson made himself part of the music scene in the late 50's as he was showcased on his family's show, 'the Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet'.

He is overlooked by some. But his down home style and sincerity struck a cord with many.

His music spoke of humanity, pure and simple.

I don't care to guess who is a great artist here.

I merely wish to say how something like Nelson's music is a comfort in dark times.

We need all the help we can get.

Rick Nelson will play tunes in my head for the tough times to come.

No comments: