Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Robert Culp

Another fine actor has crossed over.

And if there is anything to the 'three' myth, he follows Peter Graves and Fess Parker.

These are actors I grew up watching and enjoyed their work.

Now, I'm not going to pretend to have known Bob Culp. Unlike Pat McGoohan, whom I knew, we were not friends. I had managed to talk to him, however.

One of his pieces of advice for actors was if you had to pursue acting, then do it. You will find a way. If not then do something else.

Passion for what you do is what he was driving at, of course.

You must really want something and pursue it. No lip service need apply.

Reminds me of Bob Wise's Passion, Persistance and Practice, the Three Ps as he called them.

With Culp's passing, I again think of many I have lost, but not forgotten.

My Dad comes to mind first, with my Mom and Brother as well. Then there was my Greatgrandmother, my Cousin Walter and so many other family members and friends, like Bob Schluep.

Of course in the friend/mentor/(and I daresay colleague) category there was Patrick McGoohan as well as Robert Wise, Mark Lenard and Jeff Corey.

I say colleague, not because I could achieve as large a body of work as these guys, nor even the amount of fame etc. But that they accepted me as a fellow artist. They encouraged me to pursue my dream, MY passion.

Check out his interview on Youtube from the Academy of American Television:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7ZQTsQCTw

Bob Culp was also a writer and we had talked of meeting in Hollywood when I got out there.

The meeting has been postponed.

Someday we WILL meet in another place.

3 comments:

Dr Breen said...

Well done.

Anonymous said...

Lotta lefties/libs in your list.

Mike H said...

I'd like to work with his son Joseph one day. Also, Campbell Scott, George C. Scott's son. we'll see.